Sunday 21 August 2011

First post

So what should I write about in my first post on my first blog? The obvious answer is my experiences and thoughts on the all too-addictive hobby called roleplaying games.

I still remember when I first heard of the concept. I was around fourteen or fifteen years old and I frequently hanged around the local youth club with some friends. One of them told me about a new cool thing he had been doing last weekend – it was of course a roleplaying game. What caught my interest was the fact that he had played a werewolf that had their own kind of martial arts – how awesome isn't that? A week later I played my first session of Werewolf - the Acopalypse, and I just knew it would change my life.

It did not take long before I steadily played a variety of roleplaying games, mostly Werewolf – The Acopalypse and Vampire – The Masquerade. I also frequently played Cyberpunk 2020, Call of Cthulhu and a swedish game called Western. I never played any of the D&D games – in fact my first encounter with the setting was the Baldur's Gate computer game.

It did not take a long time to find a new group of people to play roleplaying games with, when I moved from my hometown to study at the University. Again the first game was Werewolf – The Acopalypse, but soon we were playing Mage – The Ascension. I have no idea how many hours I have used on that game, probably years in total. There were of course other settings like Star Wars and Birthright, and they are in fact the first level-based games I ever played.

The last few years have been a period where my gaming have been kind on and off. I have tried a lot of different settings with different people, and it was an enjoyable experiene. I have played Runequest for the first time of my life, and the Warhammer 40K games. The last year I have played in the Book of Worlds, and it has been fun to again be a part of a group that plays regularly.

That ended when our GM moved to Canada to be with his GF, but luckily the group still want to play together. We had a couple of beers the other day, and it seems I will take on the part of GM. I am no stranger to it, but I am not an experienced GM. I am confident though, that with a little help from my players it will be a fun game. Once again we want to make our own setting, but this time it will be a Sci-fi/Cyberpunk inspired game. We have already several ideas, but more of that in a later post.

2 comments:

  1. So you got promoted to fill Harald's seat? ;)

    I look forward to hearing about where you go with it. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and yes. It is a pretty big seat to fill...but hopefully it will be fun:)

    ReplyDelete