Monday 29 August 2011

10 facts about Mars


To prepare for the new setting I have been reading a lot of stuff about Mars, and it has been enjoyable to once again take an interest in our Solar System. I am still trying to put my ideas down on paper, but it is a slow going. Hopefully I will have some concrete soon, but in the meanwhile please enjoy ten facts about Mars.

- Mars can easily be seen from Earth with the naked eye. It's brightness surpassed only by Venus, Jupiter, the Moon, and the Sun.

-A Martian day is called a sol, and it is a bit longer than an Earth day. It last just under 24 hours and 40 minutes.

- A Martian year is a bit over 668 sols, or just under 687 earth days.

- Mars rotates on a tilted axis, ensuring that the planet experiences seasonal weather variations similar to Earth.

- Mars has an eccentric elliptical orbit, causing greater variations in the length of Martian seasons.

- Martian surface temperatures vary from lows of about −87 °C during the polar winters to highs of up to −5 °C in summers.

- Mars is the site of Olympus Mons (estimated height of between 21-29 km ) the highest known mountain within the Solar System, and of Valles Marineris, the largest canyon (more than 4,000 km long, 200 km wide and up to 7 km deep).

- Mars have two moons called Phobos (fear) and Deimos (loathing).

- You have to travel about 182.5 million miles to reach Mars. It would take 41.6 years to fly that distance in an airplane, but only a bit over 14 months in the Space Shuttle.

- Today there are 13 man made objects on the surface of Mars.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am thinking of calling our setting «Tales from the Red Frontier». What do you think? Good or bad?

5 comments:

  1. I think it has possibilities. :)

    Another interesting thing about Mars is its dust--which is really on the powderish side. It would swirl around the world in storms, and choke and foul equipment.

    The GURPS Transhuman Space book on solar system has a lot of good stuff on Mars as does (appropriately) GURPS Mars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear:)

    Yeah, I read about the dust storms on Mars, there are tons of interesting stuff about Mars. I will have to check out GURPS, hopefully they are still available on Amazon:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like you title - but suspect the real game will be more "fear and loathing on Mars" as Bjørge put it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing some play reports from this campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leketøys: I agree, Tales from the Red Frontier is a bit too much on the pulp side, and I am still looking for a more appropriate Cyberpunkish name for our game:

    Dangerous Brian: I am too looking forward to some game reports, but it will take a while. Mostly because I am on vacation for a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete